Monday, August 13, 2012

FNM: Week 2 ~ 7/27/12 @ Fantasy Shop Comics & Games in St. Charles, MO

    Considering the events of what went down last week, I decided to try something new. Since I don't really have the funds to be buying most of the cards I would need for my R/W Humans right now, I decided to go with another deck idea using cards I own currently. I actually took apart several decks to build this one for standard, but I feel it definitely screams my play style. Here is...

My Mono White Fateful Hour deck


[ Edit / Playtest this Deck ]

By: Kabalyero
Fateful Unlife
Type: Casual
Format: Standard
75 Cards
19   Plains
4   Clifftop Retreat

23   Lands


3   Immolating Souleater
3   Moltensteel Dragon
3   Gavony Ironwright
3   Thraben Doomsayer
3   Suture Priest
1   Odric, Master Tactician
1   Accorder Paladin

17   Creatures
3   Phyrexian Unlife
3   Soul Conduit
4   Gather the Townsfolk
3   Norn's Annex
2   Chalice of Life // Chalice of Death
2   War Report
2   True Conviction
1   Increasing Devotion

20   Other Spells


Sideboard:
1   Norn's Annex
1   War Report
1   Thraben Doomsayer
1   Moltensteel Dragon
1   Gavony Ironwright
4   Oblivion Ring
3   Crusader of Odric
1   Phyrexian Unlife
1   Suture Priest
1   Immolating Souleater

15   Sideboard Cards
This deck was created for free at MTG Deck Builder.net.
Build, Test and Share your decks online. All for FREE!



     This deck is a little risky to play, but it is fun! From the testing I've done this week, it has a pretty decent tempo to it, so I figured I'd go ahead and give it a shot. So here now is how this night went down...


Match 1: Mono White Fateful Hour vs G/R Wolfrun

Round 1:
G/R Wolfrun
Round 2: Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 3:
G/R Wolfrun

Winner: G/R Wolfrun

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Wolfir Silverheart
Llanowar Elves
Arbor Elf
Lightning Mauler
Huntmaster of the Fells



    First match of the night and it was a good one! I had played against a G/R Wolfrun before, but never with type of deck before. First round I was able to get Suture Priest, a Norn's Annex, and Phyrexian Unlife out, but didn't have enough power on the field to deal with his Lightning Mauler with Wolfir Silverheart soulbounded to it. He eventually was able to overcome my defenses and took round 1. Round 2 was the first long round of the night (We actually started to pull in a crowd of people from those that finished their matches already.). In this round, I again was able to get two Norn's Annexs onto the field with a Phyrexian Unlife with a Chalice of Life. This forced him to think about his attacks and eventually brought him down to low life while I was able to build an army of human tokens who were getting bonuses from Fateful Hour abilities and True Conviction. He conceeded before I could swing for lethal, giving me round 2. Round 3 was much quicker than the last. I was able to get a couple of humans out with an Immolating Souleater, but had little defense to deal with his Huntmaster and Wolfir Silverheart, giving him round 3 and the match.



Match 2: Mono White Fateful Hour vs R/B/U Control

Round 1:
Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 2:
R/B/U Control
Round 3: Tie! (Time Expired)

Winner: Tie!

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Gilded Lotus
Sphere of the Suns
Vapor Snag
Grave Titan


     Here we go again lol, another R/B/U Control deck. On a side note, I noticed quite a few people before FNM started that were running these colors for their deck, assumably for Nicol Bolas. It may end up being different at another location, but here it seems that this has become the popular build of the moment. Anyway, this match was also the first of two where there was some confusion with Phyrexian Unlife. My opponent stated that the poison conversion of Unlife is instant, so instead of a declared attack stopping at 0, as it should before the conversion regardless of how much it goes over, the remainder immediately became poison counters. I didn't feel it was right, and should have called for a judge, but I went with it. So, I accepted the loss from this match and the next with this in mind, and had it reconfirmed that I was correct after my third match by the judge. Anyway, round 1 had my opponent mulliganing down to five cards and eventually playing with a hand that wasn't ideal. This lead to me being able to get Unlife out and rush in enough hits in for the win with Souleater and humans. Round 2 had me on the defensive with two Norn's Annexs out with Unlife and Chalice, however building my offensive was taking longer due to lack of mana and some of his control. This lead him into building an army of zombies using two Grave Titans and amassing a silly amount of life. I kept using things like War Report and Suture Priest with Gathering the Townsfolk to keep me alive until I got Soul Conduit.  When I finally got Soul Conduit out in play, I couldn't pull it off in time. He hit me hard enough to technically go over Unlife, giving him the win. Our third round started just as the judge called out for our results. The judge allowed us five turns and neither of us were able to kill the other off, so the round and match was declared a tie.    



Match 3: Mono White Fateful Hour vs U/W Delver


Round 1:
U/W Delver
Round 2:
Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 3:
U/W Delver

Winner: U/W Delver

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Delver of Secret
Runechanter's Pike
Snapcaster Mage
Ponder
Thought Scour


    

     And here was my first Delver match! I was waiting for this, and it was a pretty good deck. Again, this was the second match where Unlife's ruling wasn't being played correctly and I accepted the loss and confirmed the ruling afterwards. Round 1 had him getting out two Delvers very early into the mage, I was able to get out some defense and a few good hits, but two transformed Delvers with no flying blockers coming up pretty much did me in. Round 2 was kind of the same, however, he only had one Delver out and a Runechanter's Pike. This time was different however because I was able to build up a ton of humans using Thraben Doomsayer and Gathering the Townsfolk, which I partnered with a Gavony Ironwright. Once he got me down into Fateful Hour, I full swung at him for lethal since all his creatures were tapped. Round 3 I was on the defensive again- Unlife, Suture Priest, a Norn's Annex, and a Chalice, with Soul Conduit waiting in the wings. However, he had another Delver with a Pike out that, and like the other match, technically hit over Unlife for the win before I could play Soul Conduit.



Match 4:
Mono White Fateful Hour vs Mono Black Vamp
ires


Round 1: Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 2:
Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 3: Not Played

Winner:
Mono White Fateful Hour

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Vampire Nighthawk
Bloodline Keeper
Murder
Ghoulcaller's Chant
Royal Assassin


    
     Even though Vampires had a little more light shined on them then normal, because of the Innistrad block, I found this to be a quite rare and curious deck. I had seen many R/B Vampires, but never a solid mono black one before. Round 1 was probably the quickest round of the night. I started amassing humans (had two Gathering the Townsfolk on opening hand) and got out an Unlife and a Souleater. He was able to play a few vampires and was able to get a hit in and kill a human, but in the end, I got him down enough to where I fed Souleater enough to swing unblocked for lethal to win the round. Round 2 I was building my defenses again, this time with 2 Norn's Annexs, an Unlife, and True Convinction. This pretty much halted him on making any attacks and I had a War Report on hand just incase. From this he started building a huge field of Vampires thanks to Bloodline Keeper. In the meantime I got out a Thraben DoomSayer and started to build an army of humans. The match pretty much came to an end once I got out another Souleater and Soul Conduit. When my combo was ready, I sapped all of my life into Souleater and used Soul Conduit to exchange our life totals giving me the win and the match.



Match 5: Mono White Fateful Hour vs G/R/W Aggro

Round 1: G/R/W Aggro
Round 2:
G/R/W Aggro
Round 3:
Not Played

Winner: G/R/W Aggro

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Sword of War and Peace
Birds of Paradise
Thrugtusk
Rancor
Huntmaster of the Fells
Wolfir Silverheart
Green Sun Zenith
Ancient Grudge

     Last match of the night and it was a fun one. This deck has to be one of my favorite Green-ish Aggro decks. I didn't get to look over it all, but I was quite impressed to see it running on three colors and actually fighting better then the Mono Green Aggro I played last week and the G/R Wolfrun this week. Granted, I didn't get to see too much of the red and white in this deck except some removal, but still very impressive. Both rounds were pretty much the same in this match. He started off with Birds and started bringing out things like his Sword, Thrugtusk, Rancor, and Wolfir Silverheart and put them on other birds or Thrugtusk. I was able to go pretty defensive, having Suture Priest and Norn's Annex out, but I just couldn't get out Unlife to work around the hits. First round he had Thrugtusk with Rancor and a Bird with a Sword swinging hard and heavy for the win, he barely had it with his life down to 1. Round 2 ended with him being able to gain enough life with Huntmaster and using his birds to tap for Norn's Annex and again swinging heavy for the win and the match. After the match was over we discussed quite a bit about our decks, shared some details on it, and played a casual game afterwards, it was a lot of fun.




FNM: Week 2 Results

Match Wins:
1
Match Losses:
3
Match Drawes:
1
Round Victories:
5 (+1 unplayed)
Round Defeats:
6 (+1 unplayed)
Round Stallmates:
1 (Time Expired)
Most impressive deck(s) of the night:
Mono Black Vampires and  G/R/W Aggro


Total Career Match Wins: 2
Total Career Match Losses: 7
Total Career Match Drawes: 1
Total Career Round Victories: 9 (+2 unplayed)
Total Career Round Defeats:
14 (+3 unplayed)
Total Career Round Stallmates: 1 (Time Expired)




Closing thoughts for the week...

     Even though the record says otherwise, I know I did a LOT better this week then last. The stopping power I had during the first two matches, especially against the R/B/U Control deck made me feel proud. The only downfall that really kept me from having a potential 3-2 this week was simply because of the confusion with Phyrexian Unlife. I think because it's a card that is not used often is where the problem lied in. After confirming it with the judge, I will be more sure to defend that ruling if it ever goes challenged again. One of the best things about tonight were the gathering of spectators. At times we had 5 to 10 people just coming up after their matches and watching our's. It was kinda funny to hear some people say "What the hell is going on here?" or " Damn that's confusing!" lol. At one point of the night, an oppenent and myself were given two full art cards from the judge. Not sure if it was something for the event or if anyone else got them, but that was pretty awesome. One was of a Priest of Urabask and the other was a Diregraf Ghoul . Kind of meh, but those were my first every full art cards, so I'll definitely keep them. So far this has been a great experience, I made a few new friends within the community and I noticed that people are starting to get word of me and this deck, lol. What have I started?

     On a side note from the event tonight, I had heard of several other places in the area that run Standard events as well, so I'm thinking about checking them out for next week. If any of you reading this are from the St. Louis area, let me know what places you hit up for FNM or other Standard events, I'd love to see what other locals are like. I will look more into it as the week goes on, but I may have a surprise for next week's blog, we'll see, lol. Anyway, thank you all again for reading my blog, I hope you will continue to follow my adventures, and I appreciate every comment and suggestion I get on here! I will see you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment