Monday, August 13, 2012

FNM: Week 3 ~ 8/3/12 @ Fantasy Shop Comics & Games in St. Charles, MO

    Following the events of what happened last week, I decided to use the same deck and see how I would do this time around. For those that haven't read my previous blog or need a refresher of what I played, here is...

My Mono White Fateful Hour deck


[ Edit / Playtest this Deck ]

By: Kabalyero
Fateful Unlife
Type: Casual
Format: Standard
75 Cards
19   Plains
4   Clifftop Retreat

23   Lands


3   Immolating Souleater
3   Moltensteel Dragon
3   Gavony Ironwright
3   Thraben Doomsayer
3   Suture Priest
1   Odric, Master Tactician
1   Accorder Paladin

17   Creatures
3   Phyrexian Unlife
3   Soul Conduit
4   Gather the Townsfolk
3   Norn's Annex
2   Chalice of Life // Chalice of Death
2   War Report
2   True Conviction
1   Increasing Devotion

20   Other Spells


Sideboard:
1   Norn's Annex
1   War Report
1   Thraben Doomsayer
1   Moltensteel Dragon
1   Gavony Ironwright
4   Oblivion Ring
3   Crusader of Odric
1   Phyrexian Unlife
1   Suture Priest
1   Immolating Souleater

15   Sideboard Cards
This deck was created for free at MTG Deck Builder.net.
Build, Test and Share your decks online. All for FREE!

     Aside from all the confusion around Phyrexian Unlife and the rulings behind it,  I actually didn't do bad last week. One of the things I've noticed about this location is that the meta is very much about either heavy control or heavy aggro. A defensive deck like mine I feel fights quite well against all of it. With new found confidence, I came into this night ready to take people out and defend any questioned rules about my deck.

Match 1: Mono White Fateful Hour vs U/W Delver


Round 1:
Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 2: U/W Delver

Round 3:
U/W Delver

Winner:
U/W Delver


~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Ratchet Bomb
Delver of Secrets
Thought Scour
Ponder
Vapor Snag
Geist of Saint Traft
Spectral Flight


    First match of the night and already going up against a Delver deck. Going into this, I couldn't help but recall the match I had with another Delver deck last week. With that in mind, I was prepared for what I thought would be a nearly identical encounter. However, this deck actually had a few surprises up it's sleeves. Round 1 had him swinging pretty heavy with a transformed Delver and a Geist of Saint Traft, but I was able to hold him back with an Unlife, Norn's Annex, and enough healing factors to hold me over till I got out a decent group of humans and True Convinction. Round 2 started what would be a common trend of the night. Before playing the next round, my opponent swapped in a bunch of cards from his side board, this would end up being the first of three opponents who did this. This round played much like the last, but he was able to get a few more heavier hits in on me, keeping his GoST from being blocked by using Spectral Flight. When I finally was able to put out a little aerial defense using Moltensteel, he vapor snaged the Dragon and ratchet bombed my Unlife! This immediately opened up the flood gates for him to swing for lethal. Round 3 felt much like a repeat of our first round, however I just could not build up the defenses I needed fast enough to deal with yet again, another transformed Delver and a GoST with Spectral Flight. This gave him the round and the match.


Match 2:
Mono White Fateful Hour vs U/W Aggro/Control


Round 1: Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 2:
Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 3: Not Played

Winner: Mono White Fateful Hour

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Arrest
Pacifism
Wind Drake
Divine Favor
Aether Adept
Serra Angel
Tricks of the Trade
Index


     Probably the most laid back match of the night. This dude was pretty cool. Like the guy who played the Delver deck last week, this was his first FNM too. He had not played MTG in years and recently started getting back into it. I always find these matches to be the most interesting simply because of the fact that I'm a returning player as well and I'm still pretty new to FNMs. Round 1 had him going on the offensive, immediately playing a Wind Drake and eventually throwing on Tricks of the Trade and Divine Favor on it, making it into a hell of a beast!  In the mean time, I quickly built up my defenses with Suture Priest, Norn's Annex, and again, Unlife. Once I got Soul Conduit out, it was pretty much over- He hit me down to zero, and then on my turn, swapped life for the win. Round 2 kinda ended up the same way, took some heavy hits with him bouncing around my Thraben Doomsayer and locking up other creatures while he swung with his Wind Drake. And like the last round, it came down to me playing another Soul Conduit and waiting for him to bring me down to zero for the swapping win. After the match, we talked a lot about the game, our past with it, and some of the combos to both of our decks. It was really refreshing to meet another returning player and seeing their eagerness to really get back into it.



Match 3: Mono White Fateful Hour vs Mono Green Aggro/Control

Round 1: Mono Green Aggro/Control
Round 2:
Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 3:
Mono Green Aggro/Control

Winner: Mono Green Aggro/Control

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Rancor
Dungrove Elder
Predator Ooze
Dismember
Ulvenwald Tracker
Llanowar Elves
Birds of Paradise


    

     Third match pitted me against the player with the mono green aggro deck from week 1 again. His was one of the scariest green decks I've come across simply because of how easy it is for him to get out some huge creatures. The deck he brought out today wasn''t the same one from that week. Instead I had heard it was a duplicate of another green deck that won 3rd place in a recent St. Louis PTQ. Round 1 had me trying to hold up defenses while he eventually beat me down with a Predator Ooze with not one, but two Rancors. Anytime I brought anything out, he would use Ulvenwald Tracker's ability to force fights against his Ooze to pump him as well. Round 2 I was able to get out an Unlife early on and build up my field. He kept building his, but I was eventually able to get enough humans out to swing for lethal. Round 3 was pretty much one sided. I couldn't play anything due to a lack of land, this lead to him beating me with two Dungrove Elders and a Predator Ooze swinging for lots lol. This match was another one where, after the first round, he immediately hit up his sideboard for answers. I think a lot of people don't really know how to deal with my combo, but are starting to get a feel for it. I also think he got a bit upset when he swung for 24 in the second round and couldn't kill me because of Unlife and Chalice, lol. 



Match 4:
Mono White Fateful Hour vs B/R Zombies


Round 1:
Mono White Fateful Hour
Round 2:
B/R Zombies
Round 3:
B/R Zombies

Winner: B/R Zombies

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

Brimstone Volley
Tragic Slip
Geralf's Messenger
Gravecrawler
Falkenrath Aristocrat
Blood Artist



    
     By far, most interesting match of the night. I really couldn't read the guy at first, and wasn't sure if he was angry with me over some of the rulings on my cards, but he turned out to be pretty cool and gave me some suggestions after the match. Round 1 started off with him rushing out with Gravecrawler and Messenger, and later on Falkenrath Aristocrat as well. I was able to once again get Unlife out after a few turns and build my defenses until I was able to play my Soul Conduit and swapped life for the win. After this, he also swapped out some cards before going into the next round. Round 2 I was able to get some my defenses up. but he had his team out and was able to swing and then finish me off with a Brimstone Volley. Round 3 I was able to draw the cards I needed to hold him off, but I got mana screwed again into having only two lands on the field. He eventually got out his team again and beat me down for the win, both round and match.



Match 5: Mono White Fateful Hour vs Nobody???


Round 1: Not Played
Round 2:
Not Played
Round 3:
Not Played

Winner: Mono White Fateful Hour (By forfeit - left before match)

~Noteworthy cards that opponent used~

None?!

     I admit, prior to this taking place, I didn't even think anyone would drop out. I gave my opponent a few minutes after I sat down at our table, but he never showed. I went up to the judge to ask about it. He clarified that my opponent had to leave early and that they had to keep him on the list to keep the match ups even. So, they gave me the win for the match. I was really hoping that I would play another match and earn another victory, but what can you do I suppose. The judge and I talked abit about all the questions that came up that night with my deck. He and I both knew from last week that there were gonna be some issues lol. He actually did some more research on Unlife in preparation for the night . We both laughed about it and I later left calling it a night.




FNM: Week 3 Results


Match Wins:
2 (+1 forfeit)
Match Losses:
3
Match Drawes:
0
Round Victories:
8 (+4 unplayed)
Round Defeats:
6
Round Stallmates:
0
Most impressive deck(s) of the night:
B/R Zombies and U/W Aggro/Control
Spoils of the night:
1 booster pack (Door to Nothingness), 1 certificate for a free night of FNM Standard at The Fantasy Shop


Total Career Match Wins: 4 (+1 forfeit)
Total Career Match Losses: 10
Total Career Match Drawes: 1
Total Career Round Victories: 17 (+6 unplayed)
Total Career Round Defeats:
20 (+3 unplayed)
Total Career Round Stallmates: 1 (Time Expired)




Closing thoughts for the week...

    

     I definitely feel like I am becoming more comfortable being and playing standard at FNM. Considering the performance of my deck that night, I was starting to wonder if I should continue again with it or try building into something more of the meta. I hesitate to do so mostly because of money, but also because I like to build the type of decks that really surprise and wow people because they are not common. I am also at a loss, because I am not sure what I want to do yet when the rotation hits, which I will need to change this deck since most of it is being rotated out. I left this night with a lot on my mind
, mostly questions on how I should approach the next FNM I partake in. I have been hearing and doing a lot of research on other locations that run MTG Standard, but at different days of the week.      Baring that thought in mind, I am considering trying out some of the other locations that run Standard to see how well I fair against them. This weekend was also the M13 Game Day Event. Recalling some of the information I had heard from a few of my friends that play in West and South County, I decided I would try my hand at another location for the event. It was a very interesting experience, but I will save that for another blog post lol. As always guys, thank you for reading my blog! Any suggestions and comments are always appreciated! Look for my M13 Game Day Blog coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment